Successful people have many things in common—but so do unsuccessful people. It’s the habits of only 1% people that make them more successful than the other 99%. These habits also set them apart from others in their industry, and enable them to achieve success that most would never dream of achieving. Here are the top 10 habits of only 1% people.
1. Rising Early
A key trait of super successful people is that they’re early risers. It’s a lifestyle more than anything else, and getting up at 5 AM to exercise can have far-reaching benefits on your health, happiness, and productivity. Research shows that waking up early boosts cognitive function, so you can learn and retain information more efficiently—and therefore be more successful—by hitting the snooze button less often.
One habit of only 1% people is that they read. They read anything and everything they can get their hands on. These people know that information is power, and when you have more power you have more opportunity to change your life for the better. They believe that one day they might come across something that can change their lives in a positive way, so they stay alert and open to new ideas. Instead of letting information slip through their fingers like water, only 1% use it to enrich themselves every day.
3. Positive Attitude
Attitude is everything. It’s one thing to understand that you need a positive outlook to achieve your goals, but it’s another to do something about it. One of these things you can do is replace negative thoughts with positive ones: Make a list of what you need to accomplish, write down anything in your life that brings you joy and focus on them while practicing positive thinking.
4. Exercise Daily
There are few daily habits that can improve our lives more than exercising. Only one percent of people exercise four times a week or more, according to Public Health England. Daily exercise is strongly associated with improvements in health and quality of life. You don’t have to be a gym rat—just set aside 30 minutes each day for physical activity. Start by doing something you enjoy, like going for a run, walking around your neighborhood, or doing yoga or tai chi in your living room.
We all know meditation is good for us. It’s been shown to reduce stress, lower blood pressure, and even change how our genes behave. And it only takes a few minutes a day. Yet many of us don’t practice daily, despite its obvious benefits—in fact, just 8 percent of Americans report meditating every day.
Most super successful people are highly organized. Sure, they’re creative, innovative and often brilliant but they still take time to write things down, schedule their day and prioritize their to-do list. They know that without organization you’ll never be able to achieve your goals. Get on top of your tasks and try using a planner to plan out your week or month in advance. You can use tools like Trello or Evernote which can help you manage all projects from a single place.
Most of us have so much going on that it’s easy to feel constantly stressed. But getting away from work for a little bit every day to relax is one of the best things you can do for your long-term health and happiness. Even if you just take a few moments each day to slow down, focus on your breathing, and allow yourself to simply be at peace—these are crucial habits that only 1% people make time for, but they’re certainly worth it.
8. Personal Care
Only 1% people understand and follow personal care. They brush their teeth twice a day, floss daily, get enough sleep, drink eight glasses of water each day and exercise three times a week for at least 30 minutes. Self-care is about looking after yourself physically and emotionally; it’s hard to be successful in your career if you’re not taking care of yourself.
9. Saving To Invest
Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many people have to learn how to save money, because they’ve never had much before. Successful people save enough money so that it will allow them to invest and grow their wealth—and one day retire if they wish. How do you find out what percentage of your income should be saved? ____%. For example, if you earn $1,000 a month, aim for $100 per month savings — or about 10 percent.
10. Getting Enough Sleep
Only 1% people follow a regular sleep schedule, sleeping 7-8 hours every night. Sleep is crucial for optimal cognitive functioning, and if you’re skimping on your ZZZs, you’re only hurting yourself. Set a bedtime for every night and stick to it like glue! It’ll do wonders for your productivity—not to mention your waistline.